Friday, February 11, 2011

Flashin Cash: The Irish Pol

Victory Hopdevil/Storm King Stout
The Irish Pol (Olde City)

On my most recent night at the bar, I went to The Irish Pol in Olde City. It is one of my favorite bars and I’ve been there plenty of times. The Pol offers around 40 different beers on tap and at a good price. I went to the bar around 11pm with my friend and it was still a bit busy. They had a good variety of beers on tap, boasting the “Most taps East of the Schuylkill”. I started with a Troegs Troegenator, which is a DoubleBock with an ABV of 8.2%, which my friend recommended I try. It was an okay beer, I wasn’t that impressed. I noticed they had both Victory Storm King stout and Hopdevil IPA. For those of you that don’t know, If you mix the two together it makes for a damn good beer. I ordered that as my second beer and it was phenomenal. I think they regularly have Storm King and Hopdevil on tap because I had it before at the Irish Pol, so I suggest you try it. I started slowing down (drunkk) because I had already been drinking before I went to the bar (always). 

They had the Mad Elf knock off beer called Rude Elf as well and my friend ordered it. I took a sip and it was really good, but too syrupy for my liking.  I ordered some fries and an Oskar Blues Gordon Ale. The Gordon Ale is an Imperial Red Ale with an ABV of 8.7%. I don’t really remember drinking it, so it couldn’t have been that good. Right before we were about to settle our tabs they tapped Troegs Nugget Nectar. I wanted to have one, but I couldn’t because I still had to drive home later. I doused the fries in ketchup, killed em, and left. All in all the Irish Pol is a solid bar and I say solid because they maintain about 35-40 taps on a daily basis. Most beers are only $5 for a pint. During their daily happy hour, most beers are only $3. They also have a 2nd floor upstairs, but it wasn’t open the night we were there.  If you can handle the occasional Nickelback song, then give this place a try.

Beer Selection: A
Price: A

No comments:

Post a Comment