Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Craft Beer Express Recap

This past weekend the long awaited craft beer express made its way thru good ol Philadelphia. As I had said, I carefully picked which bars to go to in order to maximize the drinking experience. We caught the bus at Standard Tap, but didn't even get a drink there. We made our first stop at The Institute. Their theme of beer was barleywine. Barleywines normally carry a very high ABV. As you can see below, most of the barleywines are over 10% ABV.

The Institute's Draft Board

I was looking forward to making this bar my first stop and for good reason. They were offering a varitey of brats to accompany the barleywines. I went with the buffalo chicken sausage sandwhich. Bleu cheese crumbles and hot sauce lined the sausage. Phenomenal. I should have taken a picture, but I was too hungry to take the time to do it. Fries got the thumbs up too. Our next stop was Kite & Key. They were offering up a large variety of Bell's Brewing. In particular, they were offering one of the best IPAs out there: Bell's Brewing Hopslam. Kite & Key was packed wall to wall. I knew we could only stay for one drink. I drank a delicious goblet of Hopslam which actually turned out to be the best brew of the day. It is easily one of the best IPAs I've had. Nature called, I took a dump real quick, then left.




The buses ran a pretty quick schedule, much to my surprise. A bus would hit each bar roughly every 25 minutes. Next we went to Jose Pistolas which had a line up of Southern Tier brews and a cute girl with curly brown hair. I had a Southern Tier Hoppe EPA. Which was okay, but nothing special to me. The good thing about Jose Pistola's is that there are two floors and two bars. There is plenty of space and thankfully we got a spot at the bar. Keep in mind that all of these beers are meant to be savored, so there is no reason to rush to a state of intoxication. Naturally, I became drunk as the day progressed.

Our next stop was Sidecar which I knew would absolutely result in me being tossed into a ring of intoxication. As I had mentioned in previous posts, they were rolling out some of the best IPAs. They had Sculpin IPA, Russian River Blind Pig, Imperial Hatter, and a ton more top quality IPAs. I got the New Holland Imperial Hatter as my first beer and it was excellent. It was similar to the Bell's Hopslam and thus was the second best beer of the day. The ABV of 9.4% put me in a good spot and I disappeared to releive myself in the alley. There were too many people in line for the bathroom. I came back and there was some drunk girl that vicked my seat, but I made her get her ass up (she was a deuce). My second beer at sidecar was Terrapin's Hoptaneous Combustion. From what I hear, this beer is pretty rare and was only brewed once. Its a Smoked double IPA carrying an ABV of 9.3%. All I remember is that I've never tasted an IPA like it before. It was very different.

The next bar was P.O.P.E. It was packed. And there were a lot of dyke femz there. The pisser was like 2 steps from the bar, which was a bit gross. Other than that, they had a damn good selection of bottles/cans written up on a chalk board over the bar. I took it as the draft list (drunk) and I ended up missing out on Dogfish Head Aprihop and Burton Baton IPAs. Tried to go to Geno's for the second night in a row while waiting for the bus, but the line was too long. Devil's Den would end up being the last stop. It was the first time I've been there and it surprised me. It was a quality bar. There was a good amount of seating and a great draft list. I can't even remember what I drank because I was drunk, but I know my friend had Russian River Damnation. We got a table and I had a braised pulled pork panini. Phenomenal. A very reasonably priced place. Stumbled out to a cab and was asleep by 10pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment