Monday, March 21, 2011

Beer Review: Anderson Valley Hop Ottin


Anderson Valley Brewing Company: Hop Ottin’ IPA
Boonville, California
Style: American IPA
ABV: 7.0%
Beeradvocate Rating: A-
Serving type: 6 pack bottles
Purchased at: Total Wine & More

Look: Copper
Smell: Floral
Taste: Bread
Feel: Full
Drinkability: High
The first time I had this beer was at the Foodery for my Friday lunch. It doesn’t look that appealing from the label, I know that sounds shallow (sorry beer), but I’m pretty good at figuring out where a beer stands from its presentation. Did a quick mobile check on Beeradvocate and found that it has an A- rating. Done.

This beer oddly has a mountain feel to it. I think that’s the only way I can explain it. It pours a hazy copper color and has a nice foamy head. As you drink it away, the head laces the glass. It’s a real bready beer. You can taste toasted grains and yeast. It packs a firm bite, but it is surprisingly light on the palate. The floral and maybe even sour scent throws you off the real path to the taste. Although it does have a light zest to the taste, it’s all that you’d expect from an American IPA.

My Rating: B+. Well Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment