Sunday, April 3, 2011

Devil's Den's 3rd Birthday Celebration Recap

Yesterday I went to the 3rd birthday celebration of Devil's Den. This event wasn't widely advertised, but luckily I came across it on Drinkphilly.com. For the celebration, Devil's Den was to have a complimentary buffet as well as $1 off some pretty rare drafts. I love the food at Devil's Den so how could I resist a free buffet. The event was from 2pm-5pm. I got there around 3 and the place was pretty packed. We were greeted by an angel of a hostess who made me very happy. I'm told that on our way out from a previous visit to Devil's Den I notified the hostess of her beauty. I guess I'm quite the Marlon Brando when I'm drunk. There were no seats so we grabbed a drink while waiting to be seated. For my first drink I had the Avery Maharaja Imperial IPA. 


This Avery IPA is an A- rated beer on beeradvocate. It was a solid double IPA. I noticed people carrying plates full of sausage, peppaz, and meatballs. What more could you ask for on a hungover Saturday afternoon? More of the finest beers around and sausages w/peppaz?  We took a seat and I had realized that I forgot they had Pliny the Elder on tap. I ordered it to accompany my first trip to the buffet(fat).  


Pliny the Elder by Russian River is second highest rated imperial IPA on beeradvocate. The highest rated being Pliny the Younger. With the $1 off, drafts of this beast were only $4. I got my plate full with everything they had to offer. They also had tortellini in a cream sauce that was damn good.  They even had salad with raspberry vinaigrette and rolls w/butter. For my next beer I had the Ballast Point Sea Monster imperial stout. It had an ABV of 10% and I've been developing a taste for stouts lately. Another A- rated beer that comes highly recommended.  


With the Rolex on I guzzle yet another finely crafted beer. The alcohol was hidden flawlessly behind a nice roasted taste. I started to notice a trend at that point and realized that Amazing beer + Amazing food = the best Saturday afternoon. I got the itch and kept ordering more beers. I had a Yards Trubbel de Yards which is a very rare beer that was only brewed once her in Philly and of course it carries an A rating. Another beer and another satisfied drinker. You couldn't even order a bad beer if you tried. I think I had another Pliny and called it a day. The bill for 8 beers was only like $37. DONE. That's a deal for sure. Trust me, I've been to plenty of bars and never seen a bill that low. The last time I was there they had drafts of Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball for $3.50. 

This bar has quickly become my favorite bar. They always have the top quality drafts and bottles in any style you could imagine. The bottled beer list is more like a book and the drafts are priced very reasonably. All of this goes without the mention of their food. Get your ass out to souf filly and if you are man enough to stay til the bar closes, you better get that ass a cheesesteak from Pat's or Geno's to cap the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment